Saturday, January 17, 2015

I Have A Voice

For my project I decided to focus on the oppression of women, not by physical violence, but when they are oppressed by being denied the right to speak up. On the face of the girl in my painting is the phrase 'I have a voice' in forty different languages because I wanted to try to incorporate as many different nationalities into my art work as possible. I chose to represent Rwanda in particular though by using typical racial markers for Rwandan people as guide lines for painting the girl. Rwanda is one of the countries that has come the farthest in terms of feminism in the past decade or so with 56% of the MP's on their parliment being women. That is a higher percentage than any other country (yes even in the West) ever! In that time, issues of domestic violence, equal pay rights, and human trafficking have been brought to attention. Rape has also been made a serious crime that is punishable by life sentence in jail. This just shows that when women are given a voice in their communities they can make a positive change in our world.

Maia, Grade 9

3 comments:

  1. Very effective. I love how your woman is both a unique individual and representative of all women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful details youve used in your painting. You show a lot of insight into the plight of many of Rwanda s young women. Great job. Nan madsen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! I love your painting and the detail in it! The finished product looks great!

    ReplyDelete